Moya Financial Credit Union has partnered with Qtrade Asset Management Inc. to provide members access to a full range of mutual funds and meet their broad range of investment objectives. Our qualified staff is able to provide a full range of professional mutual fund portfolio services.
|For more information, please contact:
Senior Wealth Services and Mutual Funds Representative
Moya Financial Credit Union Limited / Qtrade Asset Management Inc.
T: (416) 255-1742 ext. 322
Advantages of Mutual Funds
One of the reasons that mutual funds continue to increase in popularity is that they have many things to offer both the novice and experienced investor. They have evolved over time to meet the needs of today’s investor, including the following:
1) Professional Portfolio Management – Offers cost effective accessibility to professional portfolio management where mutual fund managers are able to continuously monitor performance and adjust the funds portfolio.
2) Cost Effective Diversification – A small investor has access to a diversified portfolio that simply would not be feasible if he/she were to make his/her own investment choice.
3) Liquidity – Mutual funds are typically considered to be liquid investments and can be easily converted into cash by redeeming them at the net asset value per unit.
4) Purchase and Redemption Plans – Mutual funds offer investors the convenience of a purchase plan option which allows them to automatically transfer set amount from their bank account on a regular basis, often monthly. Many mutual funds also offer some form of an automatic redemption plan, which can be used to provide a regular stream of income.
5) Flexibility in Switching Investments – Many mutual funds are organized in “families”, meaning a number of different funds are managed by the same organization. In most cases, investors are permitted to transfer their investments from one fund to another fund within the same family at little or no charge.
6) Tax Preferred Income – Mutual funds allow the investor the benefit of tax advantages from capital gains, since only 50% of capital gain is subject to income tax. Dividends from Canadian corporations also receive preferential tax treatment.
7) Record Keeping – The administration and record keeping associated with maintaining a diverse portfolio can be complex and time consuming. Mutual fund companies help you with the details by sending you regular financial reports, tax receipts and statements.
Risks of Mutual Funds
Mutual funds have different types and levels of risk. Generally, the higher the risk of an investment, the greater the potential for gains or losses. Diversifying your portfolio by holding a variety of investments can help to reduce your overall risk.
The following are risk factors that are associated with investing in one or more funds: stock market, interest rate, liquidity, credit, foreign investment, foreign currency and investment in derivatives.